Well, shit. I made my first huge Acme mistake, and I paid the price.
Long story short: Acme has its own
rm command. I don’t know exactly how, but it works differently than the one I’m used to. Some combination of that and how Acme executes commands screwed me.
I tried to delete some obsolete directories in my home folder. In the directory listing window for my home folder in Acme, I found the thing I wanted to delete (in this case several things), and added and
rm -Rf before it and an asterisk after it, like this:
1 2 3 4 5
As you can see, along with the other things in my home directory, I had several offlineimap related things. I wanted to delete them, and
rm -Rf .offlineimap* is how I would normally achieve this.
My first clue that something was wrong should have been when I got an error that
-R wasn’t a proper flag.
-r was required instead. Hm. I could have sworn that
rm took a capital R, but I tend to get capital and lower-case R confused in various commands, so I just went with it. I changed the R to an r and executed the command. After running
Get to see the updated contents of my home folder, I realized that a lot more was missing than just the offlineimap stuff.
In fact, most of my home folder was gone. Luckily, I had a backup from just a few nights ago, so I was able to restore with minimum loss. However, this is a mistake I won’t be making again.
Also, always keep backups.
This post was carefully written in Acme.